Monday, February 26

Interesting Day

Today at 12:30 PM, Mark and Bekah Perry had to leave to go back to Ohio. Earlier this morning, Mark said he would accompany me down to order water, to be brought up in a water truck. We got a taxi from a taxi base right at the end of our street and the man said he would charge us 60 pesos to get there. (That's about 6 dollars.)

We got there, paid for our taxi, gathered together our other belongings and said goodbye. About 50 yards from the taxi, alas, I didn't have my wallet. It had two credit cards, my debit card (the only way that we can get money here in Mexico), my water card which is the only way we can get water, a phone card and $80 dollars (US.) We looked around thinking that the man may have found the wallet and come back, but no. Very despairingly, there was nothing else to do but get another taxi (with Mark's money) as I had no more, and make the trek back up the hill to our house. We held out hope that the man would go back to his taxi base without picking up any other passengers. If another passenger sees anything left in a taxi when they get in, ADIOS whatever it was.

We made it back up the hill in about 35 minutes and went straight to the taxi base. The man was not there. We waited about 10 minutes and he didn't appear. We walked home and told the bad news to everyone. We all prayed as a family. We didn't know whether to cancel the credit cards immediately or wait. After about an hour and a half, I walked back down to the base and no, he had not come. Sigh.

Morgan, a taxi driver in our church, came to get Mark and Bekah at 12:15 PM. My neighbor told me that you don't have to have a water card if you have a previous receipt. So, i thought I would find an old water receipt and hitch a ride down again with Morgan, Mark and Bekah (with three big suitcases, all in a little VW beetle (not the new ones).)

Anyway, I couldn't find an old receipt, so I just told them to go ahead. Mark, when leaving said, "Mike, is there anything I can do for you?" I mournfully said, "Just pray." They were pulling out of the driveway and our door was open and at the top of the drive was our morning taxi. I ran up and asked him if he had found my wallet and, Praise the Lord, he had it. He never even opened it and everything was there. What a blessing today. What a praise. I asked the man if he would take me back down the mountain to the water truck place and he said yes. I asked him to wait for a minute and I ran in the house with the great news. We all prayed and thanked the Lord together and then I took off.

I had a very profitable afternoon being able to get a double water truck load (now they say it will only take between 1 and 5 days to deliver it, but that's another story), visit Marcos and Rut (pictured with Rut's daughter) who would like to be married in August, visit the two older ladies, Sra. Gloria and Sra. Maria, visit our friend Pedro, get some fresh squeezed orange juice, visit with another family who doesn't attend our church, and then get a taxi ride home. Praise the Lord for His goodness and mercy to us in this way and today. We could have really been up a creek right now without a paddle. Praise the Lord for His common grace that makes people do the right thing even though many of them are not saved. (I'm not sure what to think about the ones who sabotaged our pipes though, but again, that's another story.) Thank you so much for praying.

We were wondering last night if Carissa had apendicitis. She seems to be doing much much better today with some new medicine. We pray that that continues. If she does take a turn for the worse again, we will have to take her to the hospital. We keep on appreciating your prayers.

God is Good (always),
Mike

No comments: