Sunday, July 17

Summer, part 2

The summer of 1998 was so great I wanted to do it all over again in 1999. By the grace of God, I did! I preached through the book of Jude in Spanish, continued with the youth group, and gained more confidence living and traveling around Mexico City. I even celebrated a birthday there (replete with the traditional dunking of the birthday boy's face in the cake).
Another highlight of the summer was helping the Goldfusses host another team of high schoolers from Bible Community Church in Mentor, Ohio. I thought this team showed a lot of maturity and flexibility, and I think they received a real blessing from their time in Mexico City.
I do remember the struggle of feeling like I was getting a handle on speaking Spanish and then getting slapped in the face every day with a million and one words and phrases I didn't know. Language acquisition is a tough cookie--- pray for your missionaries. Pronunciation is also a struggle, and it didn't stroke my ego when the preschool-aged missionary kids knew what to say and could pronounce it perfectly!

No comments: