Tuesday, August 2

A Big Trip

In May of 2001, following my first year of seminary, I took another trip to Mexico City for five weeks. This trip was a little different: this time I took a friend with me--- my girlfriend. After quite a bit of persuasion, I convinced Rebekah Helgerson, who still had a year left of college, to accompany me to see this place I was always talking about.
Although it was familiar to me, it was definitely foreign to her. I think she enjoyed the new sights, sounds, and tastes that I had come to know and love. Special favorites for her were tacos and Manzana Lift (apple soda made by Coca-Cola).
I was looking forward to taking her into the city to see the sights. On Thursday, May 31, 2001, we hopped onto a pesero (a crazy bus) to take us to the Metro and we saw the Zócalo, the Basilica, and went up to the observation deck on the top of the Latin-American Tower. Up there, 44 stories in the air, I asked her if she would marry me, presenting her with a ring that I had carried in my sock all day (for fear of pickpockets). She said yes, and we celebrated with a dinner at Sanborns restaurant. Then she gave the ring back to me to put in my sock for safekeeping, and we headed home via Metro and bus.
It's hard to top that, but we did have many other great experiences on the trip. We helped the Goldfusses host a team of high schoolers from our church, Westerville Bible Church. My parents were actually the leaders of the team, so it was fun to reunite with them in Mexico.
Some of the exciting things we did were drain and clean a fish pond, learn to play squash, play with the Goldfuss children, and basically learn what living in Mexico City involves.
We had the opportunity to minister in the Goldfusses' small church, Iglesia Bíblica de Padierna, by playing the piano, preaching, helping in Sunday school, and helping with a Bible club.
Even our trip home was exciting: we were offered a travel voucher worth $450 each by Continental to be "bumped" from our flight from Houston to Columbus. That enabled me to fly out and visit Rebekah twice over the next year.
It was a great trip: we both loved Mexico City and thoroughly enjoyed the time ministering together there. Plus, we got engaged!

1 comment:

Areli Pope said...

I like your love story. It's very romantic.